The ATO is warning those submitting their tax returns this year to take care when submitting ‘other’ work-related deductions to claim back, as they are closely scrutinising. If you are planning on claiming work-related deductions this tax return season, you will need to show:
- That the money that was spent was on yourself and was not reimbursed
- That the expense was directly related to earning your income
- That there is a written record of the amount being claimed
To ensure that you remain compliant with your tax obligations when claiming work-related expenses, you should ensure that you have access to all of the relevant information that you will need to prove that the amount being claimed is eligible as a deduction.
Here is a guide as to what we will require from you to prepare your income tax return. Please note that these documents may not apply or be needed by everyone.
To prove income, you will need to give us evidence of the following:
- Payment summaries for any jobs you have had over the past year
- Bank interest statements showing interest received
- Dividend statements
- Foreign income
- Rental property income
- Business income
- Any other income earth
You will need to provide us with documentary evidence of the following to claim these as deductions:
- Motor vehicle expenses (estimation of kilometres if no logbook is kept, otherwise logbook and expense details)
- Travel (fares and accommodation)
- Self-education and professional development
- Union fees, registrations, subscriptions, memberships
- Home office costs
- Telephone, computer, internet fees
- Details of asset purchases (with the portion of personal and work usage)
You will need to provide us with evidence of the following:
- Income Protection Insurance
- Investment expenses
- Rental property expenses
- Cost of maintaining tax affairs
You may also be able to claim a deduction for the expenses that are incurred while performing your work duties at home if you are a current employee working from home. You will also need to have accurate records, receipts and information irrespective of the method that you use to claim (Shortcut, Fixed Rate or Actual Cost).
Accurate record-keeping of all documentation regarding income, work-related expenses and other expenses will help expedite the process of lodging your tax return by us. If you require any additional information regarding what you need to provide in terms of documentation for your tax return, you can speak with us.