Taking your business online opens up many new opportunities but it also opens up new threats. Taking these steps will help protect your business from cybersecurity threats.
- Backup your data: Backing up your data is inexpensive and easy to do. This will help you recover any data if you experience a cyber incident. Conduct backups regularly and store the devices you use separately.
- Secure your devices and network: This includes updating your software (which may include security upgrades), installing security software, setting up a firewall, and turning on your spam filters.
- Encrypt important information: Encrypt the data you store or send online. This will reduce the risk of theft, destruction or tampering.
- Train your staff to be safe online: You should let your staff know what threats they can face and what they can do to protect themselves e.g. regularly changing passwords
- Consider cybersecurity insurance: The damages of a cybersecurity attack can’t always be repaired by recovering databases, strengthening security or replacing devices. Insurance will help you cover the costs of a cyber attack