Your credit score can affect loans and credit you apply for. You are able to have errors on your credit report fixed for free.
The following are typical errors in credit reports, that you are able to get fixed for free.
Errors by the credit reporting agency – there may be instances where the agency that reports your information has done so incorrectly. This can lead to errors about:
- Your name, date of birth or address
- Debt listed twice
- Amount of debt
This type of error can be fixed by contacting the agency directly.
Errors by the credit providers – there may be instances where the credit provider incorrectly reports information. This can lead to errors about:
- How long your credit is overdue
- Whether you were notified about an unpaid debt
- If your debt was defaulted as overdue when it is in dispute
- Changes in your payment plan that were not appropriately represented
- Accounts that were created as a result of credit fraud
These types of errors can be corrected by contacting the credit providers. If they agree that there has been a mistake, then the agency will adjust the details. If there is disagreement, then contact the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) to file a complaint and receive a resolution.