What Am I Allowed To Claim As A Travel Expense?


Knowing what you can claim from travel allowances and expenses can be difficult as in some cases, tax deductions from an allowance are to be withheld unless specified otherwise.

The reasonable amount of travel expenses is updated yearly based on your job type and salary. If you are required to travel overnight for work, you may be eligible to receive a travel allowance from your employer for accommodation, food, drink or incidental expenses.

Where exceptions apply, your employer won’t withhold tax and will include the allowance on your payslip. These exceptions are:

  • You are expected to spend all the travel allowance you have been paid.
  • The amount and nature of the travel allowance is kept separately in accounting records.
  • The travel allowance is not for overseas accommodation.
  • The travel allowance paid is less than or equal to the reasonable travel allowance rate.

It is important to keep detailed records of your travel expenses, length of trips and if it was overseas or domestic travel. If you claim anything from these trips in the future, you must provide the appropriate documentation covering all expenses, not just excess amounts. Vehicle, food, accommodation and incidental expenses need to be documented case-by-case:

With a travel allowance;

  • Written evidence must be supplied for overseas accommodation.
  • A travel diary must be supplied on overseas trips of 6 nights or more.

Without a travel allowance,

  • Written evidence must be supplied on all domestic and overseas travel.
  • A travel diary must be supplied on domestic and overseas trips of 6 nights or more in a row.

If you require assistance with determining what can be deemed a travel expense consulting with a professional tax agent, like us, may be of assistance. We are equipped with the knowledge required to help.


About Author

Leave A Reply

Pin It on Pinterest